- I will be open to the possibility of changing my expectations in order to embrace a serious relationship. Fair enough. But funny is non-negotiable. And he has to open doors too.
- I am willing to take stock of my previous patterns and approach dating in a new and healthier way. Is it considered a "previous pattern" to date guys who everyone thinks might be gay? Does that mean I have to hang out at biker bars?
- I am aware that some of the things I've been looking for have been influenced by baggage from my childhood and previous relationships, and I'm willing to leave that baggage in '08. I disagree with this one. I think you learn something from every relationship you're in (whether romantic or otherwise), and that helps you make better decisions in the future. So, I am going to hold onto all of those childhood and previous relationship memories. (Well... maybe not that memory of peeing my pants in third grade...)
- I believe there is more than one "ideal mate" per person, and a good partner is not defined by a list of achievements and traits, but by being willing and able to commit to making the relationship work. OK, I'll buy this one. I mean, I have more than one "ideal friend" out there. Why not assume that would hold true in the love department too?
- I will not project who I am and what I want in ways that are at odds with my true desires based on fulfilling some inauthentic ideal of what a "perfect partner" is supposed to be like. True dat. I would never change for a boy. Plus, I am the "perfect partner." So they should change for me. ;) Jaaaay kaaaay. (About the changing part. Not the me being perfect part.)
- I will not be unduly influenced by the opinions of friends and family when it comes to knowing who and what I want in a potential mate. They didn't say anything about being influenced by blog readers!
- I will not regard myself as incomplete when I'm not in a relationship. I'd have been incomplete for a long time now if I believed this one.
- I will not settle for someone who does not make me happy out of fear of being alone/single. Never would. Which apparently makes me "too picky." Whatevs.
- I will make an ongoing effort to consider whether a person might be right before disqualifying them based on initial decisions or snap judgments. Damn. I love judging boys. And just FYI... my first impressions are almost always accurate. But OK. I'll try.
- I will explore new avenues and expand my social horizons to meet new people. As long as this doesn't mean I have to join a chess club.
I don't know about you, but I'm not all that inspired after reading these resolutions. I don't like how so many of them start with "I will not..." That's not putting out very positive vibes, is it?
What love resolutions would you suggest? (Don't be gross. Blogmom and blogdad read this.)
P.S. Happy birthday, blogmom!