Thursday, December 11, 2008

Single for Santa


My friend Amy forwarded me this list of 5 Great Reasons to be Single During the Holidays. (I don't know who the source is, but I'd swear I wrote this list myself anyhow.)

I realized last nite while finalizing my Christmas shopping list that it's actually quite nice to not have to buy gifts for a "special someone" this year. I've always prided myself on getting the *perfect* gift for my boy toy, and am always disappointed when I get the proverbial gift certificate. Or, even worse, when I have to specifically spell out what I want. Ugh. That's no fun for anyone.

The Murse was the king of last-minute shopping, which always made me feel like an afterthought. Especially after I would spend weeks finding just the right gifts for him. (Truth be told, the last-minute thing wasn't all that bad. He always felt guilty about going at the last minute, so he ended up spending way too much on me. I'm pretty sure Kate Spade and Banana Republic were always thankful for that.)

So to all my single readers... enjoy!

5 Great Reasons to be Single During the Holidays

Don't let your relationship status play a factor in your holiday cheer. It's still the most wonderful time of the year--especially if you're single!

Sure, spending another gift-giving season alone can be lonely, but if you adjust your view, it can also be the greatest time of the year. No quarrels, no guilt trips—you have the freedom to do whatever you want, whenever you want and with whomever you want. If you need to be reminded about just how amazing the holidays can be when you’re solo, read on for our five top reasons why it’s great to be single this season.

Reason #1: You can Spend Time with your own Family and Friends

It’s the age-old holiday conundrum and controversial issue: which family should a couple spend the holiday with? Lucky for you, being single means you aren’t obligated to go somewhere you don’t want or have to split time or compromise between your partners family and your own.

There are no expectations to spend the morning sipping cocoa and opening presents with your in-laws just because they live closer than your own family or because it’s their ‘turn’ this year. Take ownership of the holiday and make plans with your own friends and relatives. You’re already trying to please your own family; being single you won’t have to please a partner’s as well.

Reason #2: You can Put yourself at the Top of your List

This year, your holiday debt and anxiety will be at an all time low because there’s no need to find the perfect gift for your significant other and his or her immediate family. With no struggle over what to buy, spend a fraction of the money on a gift you’ve been eyeing for yourself or donate the funds to the charity of your choice.

Reason #3: You can Create new Traditions for Yourself

Don’t be a creature of habit. Give yourself permission to enjoy the holiday in whichever way you envision. Have you secretly always wanted to create the most over-the-top Christmas light-adorned spectacle of your home or set up a fabulous girly tree complete with all the pink trimmings? (Sidenote: and if you are a man, you can put up a tree like the one featured on this post.) You now can, because being single you have the option to deck the halls—or not. Perhaps this year you’ll start a new tradition of going away with other single friends to an exotic beach locale or volunteering at festivities for your church, synagogue or community center.

Reason #4: You can be Fun, Flirty and Fabulous at all the Holiday Parties

Put on your best party dress or suit and revel in the holiday spirit. Without the stress of having to make sure your significant other is having fun think of all the time you’ll have to collect kisses under the mistletoe.

Reason #5: There’s No Undue Expectations

Expectations for the holidays are already unrealistic—single or not. It’s rare that everything will go smoothly but being solo does take part of the pressure off because you hold the power to create your own special day. The best part is that all the choices are in your hands. If you want to spend the evening sipping hot chocolate and watching a reality show marathon you can do it.

Your relationship status doesn’t have to determine your holiday cheer. Spend time this season reflecting on the past year and what you want out of life in the future.

***

Now don't get me wrong... I'm not gonna complain if Santa leaves a tall, dark and handsome present under my tree this year. I just hope he comes with a gift receipt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I didn't create an explicit list of what I want for Christmas for my husband, I'd probably end up with a bunch of thrift store t-shirts, flip flops, and a few cases of beer. Lists aren't all that bad!

Love you, husband, if you are reading this.